Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
karmalargo

Final touches on our new guest area

Alice Edwards
last year

Please be so kind as to help me finish our new guest bedroom. My old post has disappeared and probably a blessing in disguise! I have all the furniture in the only spots they fit in here. Is a small narrow bedroom (9’ x 13’)

Just received my third and final bedspread today and it seems to match my bird art frames above the bed. I realize i may need a bit more fluff in the bed although the buttons along the foot are really something i like. And I still want to paint the headboard and refinish the nightstand is where I am at now.

The rattan chair and armoire have a bit of different styles but I am keeping them in here and I just hung the new curtains.

I have attempted to keep my new post here brief but informative. The wall with the straw hat is something i’m working in and hopefully can make it work. I’m really not wishing to have this room formal, just pleasant and the vintage french (not too country) was my original wishes, hopefully I can gather help from us Houzzers to get this room more complete. The adjoining bathroom we added here has made me so happy with everyone’s help. I’ll show pictures as well of that here too.

We really stretched our budget on the bathroom addition, so i’m only able to move forward with most the items i already have here.

Everyone’s welcome here as you all know me here and always appreciate the help and fun we’ve had thus far.

I’m stubborn and will bot give up on finalizing, lol.

Comments (16K)

• tiffany66
    4 days ago

Alice for a city girl I used to always cut up my chickens. My OH used to call me bone crusher. Hummm maybe that's what gave him the idea to never do anything wrong. None of the cutting ever bothered me, but I grew up with Mom and GMom doing it so it seem like that's just what you do. I did find that wearing rubbery gloves made it easier to grasp them.

Alice might be time for more Vick's on the chest.

• tiffany66
    4 days ago

Whenever I got kind of congested, I would go to the Chinese Restaurant and get a quart of Hot and Sour Soup. Boy that stuff clears out all the sinus passages and warms the body. It was my go to remedy.

• Alice Edwards
    Original Author
    4 days ago

Na not needing the vicks. Fortunately got past that several weeks ago. I just feel for the joints. Sometimes I just butterfly the whole fryer. Cooks so nice and even and much quicker if I’m doing the whole bird at once.

• Alice Edwards
    Original Author
    4 days ago

I should really get smarter and wear my mask when I’m out in the yard this time of year, but I don’t :(.

• Alice Edwards
    Original Author
    4 days ago

Ooohhh the hot and sour soup would definitely do the trick! And I love my Crystals hot sauce on just about anything! Or anything cayenne 💗

• drblount10
    3 days ago

Happy belated Mother's Day, Houzzers!

• drblount10
    3 days ago

Let's try that again . . .

• happyleg
    3 days ago

Hi & back to u Deb! A black pinky size spider was crawling on my dining room beam. Vac up the sucker!

• Alice Edwards
    Original Author
    3 days ago

Thank you Drblount10, your just not here enough! Hope you’re doing ok! Happy Mother’s Day to you as well 💗

• Alice Edwards
    Original Author
    2 days ago

Good afternoon everyone. Just checking in here today. Printesa have you been feeling any better and young one? I hope you both have 💗 it’s not fun at all I know to be down and stuck inside. We finally have a bit of nice weather but we’ve been inside cleaning and planning the front and back yards some more. Our ceiling fan went out of commission although I imagine it’s time for a new one anyway. We’ve been here for 10 years this October and that fan was already old I think. So…I guess we have to go get a new one so the electrician that was over yesterday can come back to install for us. I think I have a plan for the front flower beds to save a bit of money. It will be quite simple lol. Before I post out details we’ll see what evolves. Oh! Sheets are amazing so there is that. Very cool sleeping although seem a bit thin but I think that’s how these have to be. They weren’t cheap and seem very well made. May have to order another pair for back up. Wrinkly but after they are on for a day or two, seems to be stretched out. And they don’t bunch up whatsoever 💗

• kcooz07
    2 days ago

Alice, when you have time, could you post the sheets you bought? We could use another set as well.

• Alice Edwards
    Original Author
    2 days ago

I thought I would try these! The thread count is less than what we had originally but i think that actually helps the coolness and they are a chenille not sateen. You can plug in that item number on lowest. Com and read specs. We like them, may be too crisp for others but that is what I was looking for.

• Alice Edwards
    Original Author
    2 days ago

• Alice Edwards
    Original Author
    2 days ago

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    2 days ago

Just popping in to say hi! Seem the be jumping from one crisis to another. Heating up here on Texas Gulf Coast. High humidity. Flood conditions but no problem for us at least yet! No rain in forecast. Been waiting for Sprinkler Guy. No show yet.

• printesa
    2 days ago

There is always something to be changed and fixed. The AC guy was supposed to come yesterday, but he didn't and didn't say anything..OH texted him today and he said tomorrow..we'll see We are lucky that the weather is ok..it only goes up to 73 and it's mostly cloudy..it is humid, but indoors is ok.

I'm feeling fine, thank you:) I am back to just allergies:) I should wear a mask when making dust outside, but I just can't...I've been digging today the grass that took over an area..I like the grass, but the problem is that it got mixed with some weed grass and other weeds and I am just digging everything. I will see what I will plant there..it's under a tree and around it.

The little one is better, but she is coughing and that's her usual thing whenever she catches a cold. Hopefully she will get rid of it sooner than usual

Glad to hear that the sheets feel good. Yes, they are supposed to be thin. I am sure there are all kinds of qualities, but most of us cannot afford those fancy ones:)

How are the kitties doing? We finally treated the cats..it's getting warm and I am sure that ticks are getting ready to catch

We are getting rain later and tomorrow so no gardening for a while. I did clean yesterday under the trees, trimmed the chrysanthemums today so I'm ok for now:) I have plenty of work to do, so this rain comes at a good time..it keeps me indoors to finish the actual work:)

Let us know what you are planning for the flower beds. Maybe we can help

• liasch
    2 days ago

I have a terrible time trying to get sheets here. I actually managed to find one more set of the viscose which are really nice to sleep under a.k.a. bamboo. You have to really check the label that it is viscose however because lots of things say bamboo and they are just microfiber. Hot. That sheet brand looks good and I will check it out. of course the problem with the viscose is that it wrinkles horribly but I care far less about that than how hot I am when I sleep.

• Alice Edwards
    Original Author
    2 days ago

Me too Lia about the wrinkles! I ironed sheets long ago like most lol. That’s how my grandmother taught me to iron was her sheets. These after several nights still seem to be a very cool sleep, very nice indeed. I saw the bamboo, a lot of products out there last couple of years in these parts made of bamboo! Never really took the interest?

• glschisler
    2 days ago

We have been sleeping on Peachskins brand of sheets for several years and love them!🥰

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    2 days ago

Sprinkler guy came! Said he fixed everything. Will see tomorrow am!

• Alice Edwards
    Original Author
    2 days ago

I’m embarrassed to say that I had never researched sheets very much in the past. Sleeping hot I thought was part of the plan lol, but so glad there is a difference and so many variables. Honestly wasn’t in the position to spend much for linens but am realizing some things do make a real difference! Cannot believe it took me this long to start making myself a bit more comfortable 😆 always worried about everyone els! Well yaaa for the sprinkler man Flo! You’ll need that bc yes the heat is coming. BTW Flo 💗 how was your Mother’s Day? We all sent out our wishes here in the Houzz family but never checked in on you for the occasion. I really hope you had a very nice Mother’s Day. Did the kids get over for a visit in your new home? I imagine your getting pretty settled for entertaining by now, knowing you 💕

• Alice Edwards
    Original Author
    2 days ago

I should be out in the yard today with plans I’m making but just have not made it and tomorrow I’m meeting up with my daughter and grandkids and step mom at a huge nursery to get ourselves something and enjoy the afternoon together. I’ll need help in the yard and just have not been able to muster up any. Guess I’ll have to just see what I can do myself. Quite a bit of landscaping changes, well, some changes for the good, but can only do so much. I’ve decided to go more than simple which will be a 100% improvement out there and I know it’s about to get hot! Have to be mindful of the heat! Really would like to get our hummingbirds back over here so I’ll most likely pick up a few hanging basket plants first the back porch.

• Alice Edwards
    Original Author
    2 days ago

Printesa I sure hope that A/C guy gets over there. This time of year that’s the busy time. I have to have some a/c I’ve become aware since we are getting uh um up there lol. Humidity is the worst! I’m glad your feeling better and young one too. My cough lingers as well, always the last to go and this part of the country is the worst for allergies. It’s a documented fact lol. Speaking of grass! We have very good St. Augustine here in the back and front. It just needs help with the weeds but usually we get it in pretty good shape in rhetorical back as summer comes around. Of course all our big trees with the shade keeps it bare bc of the shade. I could do beds around the trees but have not really been ready to spend on that. Out front though I do have some simple ideas to at least give our front yard a bit more appeal. We have the Junipers ob the corners of the porch and I’ve been searching for edging material. Well I may just forgo the edging and have more St. Augustine sod squares with pavers for my birdbaths and planter pots that I’ve been wanting. He can weed eat around those and that sod should spread into the front yard and meet up with the rest of the good same grass. That is plan A. Not sure if that will be ok. There is that gully where the rain run off lands all through the center of those beds. If I can get some gravel in there then maybe a thin layer of compost then my new sod. Really might be in my budget. I will need to have an edging for the Junipers though. About 4’ x 4’. I still have not used the loppers but that’s in the plan as well. Maybe I can draw up a sketch and get some pictures. See what you think on my ideas here. I could plant anything in those pots that way vs new beds all the way across and hedges. I’ll get my Asters next week (?) but I think i’m saving them for the back yard for the hummingbirds. I still have not found what I want in front of them but there is a lot more work to be done in the back. Depending on the allowance I give myself tomorrow and prices at the nursery, there is no telling what I bring home.

• Alice Edwards
    Original Author
    2 days ago

Where the heck did the word rhetorical come from 😝 ?????That’s like the time the word rheumatoid kept sneaking into my post, goodness gracious 😂

• Alice Edwards
    Original Author
    2 days ago

Aw kitties are doing great. They have become in love with my purse! So must keep all compartments zipped closed! I have a Cheri and an Abner I think so far. Of course they are all in one pile now or I would get some pictures. Waiting to see what becomes of all four but so far just too much love for me to give up on here. And honestly there are not many local households that wish for another cat, but we’ll see how it goes 💗 Time will tell. Zoom must have heard us talking of his surgery bc he rarely shows his self up here any more so vet is on stand by, we just love our new pet doctor!

• printesa
    2 days ago

Sneaky words:)) I read that part and wasn't sure what you meant by rhetorical back;)

For the area where you get a lot of water from rain, you could go for a dry creek bed and plant around it..gardening is a continuous project:)

The grass I digging out is a decorative grass...it's a variegated version..very pretty, but it spreads. It seems to do well in the shade as well. i was thinking to replant some after I dig everything out and then try to keep it in check..not sure

Kitties are adorable. I would have a hard time giving them away..If we wouldn't have been able to find homes for the kitties we had, we would have had a lot more..my allergies would have been a lot worse.or maybe not:)

• Alice Edwards
    Original Author
    2 days ago

Well since Big daddy Zoom is being a scaredy cat, then Mom will have to take his place of being first. She is indoor kitty but will sure benefit. She’s still so attached to the kittens, just will not let them out of her sight but she will have her surgery very soon. Everyone els is in good shape here, so we just have to follow suit!

• tiffany66
    2 days ago
    last modified: 2 days ago

Sitting here devouring my Ono Hawaiian BBQ Pork take out before I leave. Only sold in CA and AZ. 😢 So good. thin sliced Pork, macaroni salad, cabbage, and white rice. But I found a recipe that looks like how they make it if you want to try it. I never knew there were Flat iron Grills for the yard. But seeing this guy cooking on one, it looks worthwhile.

Only one more day to have my local pizza -- nothing like it there. Then the late night flight. Hurray!!

• happyleg
    2 days ago

We went to my daughter's place and took the other grandson's bed and oh had to take it apart and then put it back together upstairs and the old landlord went in the other house and made my daughter mad so my daughter wanted to call the police cuz she was upset so it was quite a bit drama over there and her drama I had to climb the stairs then to go the bathroom and I thought my younger grandson had pooped in the litter box cuz it was too much poop in there and they were too big so I asked him he claims no but I think he did 7-year-old but he has autism but the boys like their room

• liasch
    yesterday

Safe travels, Tiff…enjoy!

• Alice Edwards
    Original Author
    yesterday

Ok I got a huge fairy fan flower (?) basket arrangement from my daughter, well, we all got one and I picked up some petunias for my hanging baskets. I’ll need a new chain for one basket bc I used it two Christmases ago for my gold Christmas bird bath I made. There was a very good selection there at the nursery, I think, but they were out of the deeper red petunias that I wanted :(. Pics coming 💗 soon much there really was a bit overwhelming for me, but we had a nice time and had the grandsons to push our carts first us.

• Alice Edwards
    Original Author
    yesterday

Gma looked at roses, I was a bit disdainful in that selection, maybe with the seasons changing, their stock changes?

• Alice Edwards
    Original Author
    yesterday

• Alice Edwards
    Original Author
    yesterday

• Alice Edwards
    Original Author
    yesterday

Disappointed not disdainful 😂 geez I’m surprised I didn’t post disjointed or something worse. I really need to double check myself. Ceiling fan guy was here for almost 3 hours bc we had a problem with the wiring in the attic. Of course! Well, things happen for a reason and I’m glad he was able to fix it! Electrical problems always scare me!

• Alice Edwards
    Original Author
    yesterday

Tiffany safe travels to you my dear! Glad you got to enjoy your bbq pork, mac salad, cabbage and rice. Sounds really really good. Let us know you get to MI ok. 👍

• printesa
    yesterday

Proven winners have the best flowers, especially petunias. Is that the supertunia paradise? They have several pink ones, but you know how it is with colors and screens:)

I have to go sometime next week hopefully to get annuals. I started some petunias and they were doing fine, but they all melted away..so I need to buy..I will get a bunch of supertunias since they grow big so I won't need many:)

• Alice Edwards
    Original Author
    yesterday

I was happy to see the proven winners plants there bc I did remember you saying they had healthy plants Printesa that you had been happy with them. I’ll have to keep an eye out for the supertunias. I was hoping to find more for baskets that would attract the hummers, but I’ll start with these and hopefully get some perennials in the ground. And the deeper darker red ones were already gone.

• Alice Edwards
    Original Author
    23 hours ago

Good morning! Look what I got 💗 lol, didn’t realize but now I feel special lol

• Alice Edwards
    Original Author
    23 hours ago

• Alice Edwards
    Original Author
    23 hours ago

It’s raining and I’m about to go to work :). Hoping everyone has a good day today! 🌞

• printesa
    21 hours ago

I am sure you will be happy with those petunias:) Have an easy day at work!

• Alice Edwards
    Original Author
    21 hours ago

Thank you Printesa. Rain rain go away, come back another day 😆

• zazfuzzroc
    17 hours ago

Hi Alice, hope your day is going well! 😊

• glschisler
    9 hours ago

Safe travels Tiffany!

• glschisler
    9 hours ago

Alice, those flowers are soooo pretty!🥰

• Alice Edwards
    Original Author
    8 hours ago

Oh thanks Gls. I managed to pick up new chain and coconut liners for the hangers and petunias today! Hopefully this weekend I can get them up. Have been super busy at work today. We’ve just been under thunderstorm after thunderstorm up here and I’m ready to get in the yard but it is under water! I noticed today Lowe’s had better looking roses than the nursery we visited yesterday. I saw some in a customer’s basket but didn’t get even a minute to get out to our garden section except to run my buggy out there and throw a big bag of planting soil in and get back in. Tomorrow keeping thing one and thing two, then get back home and collapse 😂. We’ll hopefully get some nicer weather this weekend.

• Alice Edwards
    Original Author
    8 hours ago

Hey there Zazzamaroon! Thanks for checking on me! I’ve been in and out of your and other posts just enough to keep up with the news. Not much time to respond but keeping all you guys in my thoughts every day 💗. I have to admit I run into walls all the time, and kick stuff, only in the most inopportune time, so when you hurt your shoulder it just reminded me of myself 😂, no but really keep working it if possible. Worst thing is to go stagnant. I wake up every day in a hobble from go go going but after a bit I loosen up.

• tiffany66
    4 hours ago
    last modified: 1 hour ago

My Flight was for Friday nite. Leading up to it nothing buy derailment was taking place.

First, everything I need to buy was out of stock at stores. The tax return compiled but awaiting final medical cost to input and complete -- should only take a 1/2 hr., has now disappeared from their computer system -- so sorry, this has never happened before, but the file is gone and we need to start over -- 4 hours to complete on no sleep. Situation: stress levels on the rise. My helper who was supposed to be here this week to get things done before Flight day has vertigo and can't stand up straight and I can't lift much or kneel.

Taxes delayed my errands - now there is no supply in the stores and the pharmacy closed 4 minutes before I get there. Grrrrr.

Earlier Day of Flight – set up my TV, Phone and Internet on Vacation mode so I don’t get charged while gone takes 1 hour. Lots of additional calls to make and delays because the automated systems never know what I need.🤷‍♀️

Helper coming to help me pack and clean up some things -- supposed to be here in the morning but arrives at 3 and I leave at 5:30. 🤦‍♀️ Stress now on steroids. Meantime making a copy of my hard-drive to load in MI computer is taking forever. Get called -- Driver is close. Finally after running constantly all day – driver arrives and we are off to the airport. AHHH nothing more to be done. I sit back, relax enjoying the ride & conversation knowing I'll sleep through the flight and all day when I get to the house at 5 am. 😁👍

• tiffany66
    3 hours ago
    last modified: 2 hours ago

BUT WAIT THERE'S MORE. Dropped at the door, I'm on time. Get to counter no wait 😊

Woman says sorry about the fight but we put you on connecting flight thru Vegas. Me: No I'm not. Yes we emailed you - your fight was canceled due to bad weather. But I asked they call me not email. It was time to stop my losses the Universe clearly does not want me to take this trip -- I cancel the longer flight thru Vegas.

Yep then it dawns on me: Driver's gone and I AM STRANDED AT THE AIRPORT. 🤦‍♀️ I forgot without an apt you can't hire Uber. Lucky there was a cab stand they shuttled me to. Many Denaros later and I am back where I started. Only this time after all the stressful weeks I decide I will postpone until Monday and get myself rested sane before I travel so I have coping skills.

Last night I found an old bottle of wine with the screw off cap -- Oh NO the walnut cracker that I use to open bottles is in MI. 🤦‍♀️🤦‍♀️ Blew the dust off the bottle, ran that thing under the hot water and twisted until it turned.

Q: Do you need to decant wine with screw off cap?? 🤔 OR is it OK to quickly swirl it and drink it straight out of the bottle?? 🤷‍♀️😃

Best night sleep ever. 😜

Oops forgot to tell the police I'm in the house.