Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cjcohn24

Accent Color Advice

Cortney H
16 days ago

Hi- we are looking to paint an accent wall in our living room. The wall is in the second photo and currently has multiple wooden frames on it. We would be removing the pictures from the wall and eventually finding something else (or nothing) to go on it. Would love any advice on what would be a good color to go with the design of the room. Thank You!

Comments (18)

• jck910
    16 days ago

Why would you accent that wall? Right now you have a lot of colors going on in the room don't really coordinate. A lot of beige right now. Maybe paint all the walls a color that goes with your floor and get a different rug.

• ilikefriday
    16 days ago
    last modified: 15 days ago

Instead of accenting the wall with paint, I would accent it with a colorful piece of art or furniture. Perhaps yellow or turquoise.

• arcy_gw
    15 days ago

The blue of the sofa??????

• Lindsey Knott
    15 days ago

Since you have low ceilings I’d want to create a different ceiling line on the wall to create an illusion of more height— and since your style is eclectic/mid mod you could pass this off. So painting the wall an accent color only 80-90% up the wall (maybe a few inches below the door frame line). You could go with a bold color to add to the eclectic interesting decor you have or on the safer but still fun side paint it a muted lighter shade of blue that’s just a slight contrast to the ceiling.

• Lindsey Knott
    15 days ago

I actually think a Smokey/charcoal black color would be a beautiful bold choice for the 80-90% wall coverage I mentioned in my comment above. It would contrast nicely with a lot of your gold accents, beige/tan floors, and greenery.

• Susan L
    15 days ago

Is there a focal point in this room? I don’t see any reason to create one on that wall. Accenting with a different paint color will draw the focus. What’s the goal of having it a different color? Can you add a pic of the wall that the sofa is facing?

• Cortney H
    Original Author
    15 days ago

Lindsey- that’s an idea I hadn’t thought of. Hard to picture because I’ve never seen a wall color that only has 80-90% coverage.

• Cortney H
    Original Author
    15 days ago

Susan- the couch faces out front door

• ffpalms
    15 days ago

I’d consider a new layout before deciding on the accent wall. The couch facing the front door feels a bit uncomfortable to me. Placing the furniture like below creates an entry area behind the couch. I’d probably not place anything under the wall opening to the kitchen.

• elcieg
    15 days ago
    last modified: 15 days ago

Would you try a different furniture arrangement? I'm not sure if there is enough room for this idea. I, too, don't like the sofa where it is and I don't like the fact there is no foyer.

So, move the sofa so the back is to the front door, front legs on the big rug (which you should center on the front door). Put the console behind the sofa and plants where the console was. Leave the mirror as is. Decorate the console so it becomes more of an entry piece than a sofa table. Put a lamp (or two) on it. There are some great LED battery lamps available when you don't have a floor plug.

• PRO
    Celery. Visualization, Rendering images
    15 days ago

I am afraid this corner would be dark with accent wall.

• Jennz9b
    15 days ago

I would not paint only one wall. in my opinion that’s a look from 15 years ago. Nice house!

• Lindsey Knott
    15 days ago

Here are examples of ways to play with paint accents that are more consistent with today’s trends. The blue and white one, imagine it being reversed for you wall. I’d also continue the accent into the dining room wall as well.

• Lindsey Knott
    15 days ago

Blue one mentioned above

• Kendrah
    15 days ago

Accent walls look to me like you are afraid to decide on a color for the whole room so you are just slapping it on one wall. Either paint the whole room one color or paint the whole room a neutral and fogure out other ways to bring color in to the space.

• Cortney H
    Original Author
    15 days ago

Really appreciate all the advice.

• Pugga70
    14 days ago

Following....

Sponsored
Fresh Pointe Studio
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading Interior Designers & Decorators | Delaware County, OH