Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
eric_alvey24

Suggestions needed for odd wall!

Eric Alvey
15 days ago

If I want to keep a tv on this wall and possibly a larger tv, how should I balance everything out? The fireplace, sliding door, TV, and ceiling height all seem to be out of whack. Maybe dark tile to the left wall with a mantel above?

Comments (15)

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    15 days ago
    last modified: 15 days ago

I'd probably not put the tv over the fire, nor curtain panels on the doors. I'd be looking for a different furniture arrangement entirely.

Take more pics, all angles , and for the best help? Draw and measure the entire space, including doors, fire, walls, all. Feet and inches : ) uploaded as a jpeg below

Eric Alvey thanked JAN MOYER
  • Eric Alvey
    Original Author
    15 days ago

I agree with you. I haven't moved in yet, so this is "staged" furniture and I can't get measurements just yet. I wouldn't normally put the TV over the fireplace either, but the open concept kitchen is directly across the room and I think that is why the TV is on that wall. Those curtains will be coming down immediately, and I thought to replace them will a semi-blocking roller shade. I was thinking to do a long mantel over the fireplace all the way to the wall for a more horizontal look, but would that work with the ceiling being that high? I think it is at least 10 feet.

• teamaltese
    15 days ago

Something to consider- I’d paint that entire wall black. It would really focus in on the outside view, and help disguise any tv.

Eric Alvey thanked teamaltese
  • arcy_gw
    15 days ago

Those curtains look like an AI photo. I might take the fireplace out. It makes no sense that near the glass door.

• Maureen
    15 days ago

Suggest waiting until you move in, as you’ll get a better sense of room based on your furniture and needs. I would try to find another spot for a tv (don’t go too big) and aim to create both balance and interest, as that area feels off and weight is needed to counterbalance sliding door.

Sending a picture eventually with your furniture, as well as the room’s layout/measurements will allow you to get more helpful ideas. It’s nice to plan and maybe look for ideas and inspiration in the meantime.

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    15 days ago

There is no space for a larger TV and I agree the FP there is just silly . From what I see the TV could go on the sofa wall but really wait until you are in. Then post a to scale floor plan on graph paper here in a comment in jpeg format . Info as to size of TV and furniture . No point in decor pland until you ar ein BTW all things relating to this space are now dealt with here in comments DO NOT start another post.

• Jennifer Hogan
    15 days ago

So the TV is across from the kitchen, so you can watch TV while cooking, but not see it when seated on the sofa?

The curtains do look like a fire waiting to happen. Glad to hear you are getting rid of them.

I know you can't get the room dimensions, but could you draw the basic layout of the room, share the listing or more listing photos that give us a better idea of what is where?

• J Mig
    15 days ago

Also remember that you really have to watch your clearance from the top of the fireplace to the bottom of any TV for heat reasons.

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    15 days ago

Please post images of the entire room. There are too many issues with placing the TV over that fireplace that's jammed up against the door. I'm sure there's a solution for your room.

Eric Alvey thanked BeverlyFLADeziner
  • PRO
    JAN MOYER
    15 days ago

FOR HEAVENS SAKE! lol

Folks, I know it's easy to get ants in the pants. To imagine, to dream....! But the turn of the key on move in day is not an ending, a finish.....it is a new beginning. Treat it like that, and don't rush.

Draw, measure!!! plan. Decorating in haste leads to tears........in leisure.

• PRO
    Celery. Visualization, Rendering images
    15 days ago

You might need to change your layout.

• RedRyder
    15 days ago

@JAN MOYER - I usually agree that moving in and settling your family (and stuff) is first, then you obsess over details. But in this case, I would also be panicking about where the heck the tv can go in this room. This living room is more than tricky.

Eric - you will need to wait but I understand your being perplexed.

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    14 days ago

If you desire a larger TV you'll have to place it across the room from the sofa.

Eric Alvey thanked BeverlyFLADeziner
  • PRO
    JAN MOYER
    14 days ago

OR..........?

You might not "panic " yet over where to put the tv.

Move in, put the not great tv exactly where they have it. If they didn't leave it behind? You can get one that size for under 200 bucks and then unload it on Facebook Market place.

There are probably several ways for the room to look lovely and function. All is guesswork now, including your own furnishings!

as I said, I understand the "prethink"........but a home isn't Amazon Prime. Not unless your desire is to have it LOOK like that.

Nobody has died from a slightly small tv for a month. Right?