Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jessieteneyck

Help me layout a master bathroom

jessieteneyck
15 days ago
last modified: 15 days ago

Hello turning our old bathroom into a new master bath. can someone help me lay it out. we are moving the door to where is shows so everything will need to be moved around and gutted. If it helps, the room can be made rectangular to meet the shorter wall but cannot be made bigger.

I would love to have a nice size shower, no need for a tub. I am ok with one sink but want good cosmetic storage and some counterspace, a linen storage area, possibly a separate space or room for the toilet. we have a huuuuge old fashioned cabinet in our bathroom that allowed for so much storage and i would be lost without this much space (see pictures for that)

sewer line is in the bottom left corner of the drawing if that matters but plumbing was running all through the room to it.

Thank you!

Comments (12)

• PRO
    Sabrina Alfin Interiors
    15 days ago

Bump out the door wall to align with the upper right top wall. Put in a pocket door. Put the toilet opposite the door, then put a pony wall 30-36" from the left wall to frame the shower. Make the shower three feet deep to include the window (use frosted film if you have to or replace the window with frosted glass), then add a double vanity across from the shower to the right of the door. If you put in a glass shower enclosure, the bathroom will still get light from the window.

• AnnKH
    15 days ago

I'm not sure I'd want a pocket door in a primary bath. I think a hinged door would provide better sound insulation - my hubby showers before I wake up, so that's an issue for us (might not be for someone else). I also like to be able to hang a robe on the back of the bathroom door.

• Karenseb
    15 days ago
    last modified: 15 days ago

Is the 9 foot wall on the right an outside wall?

Can you show where the closet and bedroom are located?

How far off the floor is the window? Can you indicated how much wall is to the left of the window?

• jessieteneyck
    Original Author
    15 days ago

The 9” wall goes up against our closet see picture below (an addition was put on the house before we bought it of a master bedroom without a master bath - weird choice)

the only place to have the door is where i am showing it because of the way the hallway is.

the window is low. about 24” from ground. I am open to putting in new window though.

to the left of the window is only about 1 ft of space.

i cannot bump out the door wall because it is the only hall space available to enter my bedroom. i can however bump it in to make the room 7’6” x 11’9”

This is very rudimentary floorplan, but the big white room is our master with the two pentagon shaped closets and then the weird shaped bathroom we have now is just above it at the right.

• PRO
    RappArchitecture
    15 days ago

I agree with kandrewspa about the layout, but I wouldn't move any walls. And perhaps a storage unit could be built all along the 7'-6" wall behind the door.

jessieteneyck thanked RappArchitecture
  • Karenseb
    15 days ago

That is an extremely large space. lucky you.

i would talk to a designer to get the most use out of your space. perhaps you could devote 7 feet on the right side of your bedroom, to a closet/ bath area with one entrance leading to one large closet on the south side of the drawing and master bath in the irregular area. with the larger bath space, you might be able to get a toilet room.

• jessieteneyck
    Original Author
    15 days ago

We have thought about this but we have grown used to the extra space in the bedroom, i use it to work out in and i have a beautiful view of our backyard that would be closed off. I think it’s a sacrifice i would rather not make. i played with my app i have for the bathroom, somehow i messed up the walls and i can’t get them back so i arranged the bathroom if we were to make it a smaller rectangle. let me know if this looks ok? toilet seems a bit weird but not sure where else it can go.

• jessieteneyck
    Original Author
    15 days ago

Oh @Karenseb i also realized that the big floor plan i sent is completely not the right measurements. just the layout is accurate.

• marylut
    15 days ago

Best I can come up with u til your floor plan measurements are accurate. One option reduces the BR closet but gives you bathroom access from the BR if you are trying to make this a primary suite

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    14 days ago
    last modified: 14 days ago

Show the whole suite accurately please .

Square feet are meaningless. Every wall, window, and door , closet or entry noted with dimensions. Far more useful : ) as every single inch counts.

• thinkdesignlive
    14 days ago

Yes!^^^and pictures help too. It’s confusing - are you moving the entry door to the primary suite with this remodel?