Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sarah_kirk38

bathroom remodel choices

S S
15 days ago

Help me decide!!

Small tile on floor, what is cleaning maintenance like??

Shower curtain vs. shower door??

Premade vanity vs built??

Wanting tile like this:

Comments (9)

• Tara
    15 days ago
    last modified: 15 days ago

The tile on the floor would depend on the rest of the room. If you go with that tile, maybe the rest of the room should be more tame/restful. If you go with the gray grout like that, I don't think it would be any harder to clean or maintain it.

Shower curtain or door? Depends on the look you want. If you want to show off pretty tile in the shower, go with a door - but there is definitely more maintenance than with a curtain. With the curtain you can treat it as another decor item. If you are going for ease of your father in law getting in and out and may need assistance, a curtain would be easier. And you can wash a curtain.

Vanity, again , depends on the look you want. A pre made one may give you a furniture look, while a built in one would probably look like a big box with sinks in it, I personally like the furniture look over a big box spanning wall to wall. Then again, if you have storage elsewhere, you may want a pedestal or a wall hung sink. Wall hung sinks are good for handicap accessibility, as is a "floating" vanity.

• Tara
    15 days ago

Old Dominion - Eco Transitional · More Info

Santa Monica Garage conversion · More Info

• elcieg
    15 days ago
    last modified: 15 days ago

Use that tile for the shower floor and find a larger tile for the bathroom floor. Guessing your pictured tile is Calcutta Gold...but, whatever, find the same in a larger cut.

• S S
    Original Author
    15 days ago

Thanks so much for the input!!

• Kendrah
    15 days ago

Custom vs premade vanity: When I explored a custom vanity it was many thousands of dollars more expensive. You have more choices to make - not always a good thing. You don't get to see or feel what the finished product looks like. (Sometimes ordering pre-made you don't either.) Premade you get to read reviews. Custom you really have to look hard to get reviews of the quality. Don't assume that because something is custom it will be made well. If you can afford it, have a very particular vision, a specific space, and have the time and energy to think of every details, then custom is for you.

Small floor tile: Pay attention first to the pros and cons of marble tile in a bathroom, to the slip factor of any surface you choose, and remember that grout lines can make a difference in the look and wear. I love a small hex in a bathroom. I always choose medium or darker grey tones because I figure the grout lines will stain and get darker over time anyway.

Shower curtain vs glass - Shower curtain is thousands of dollars cheaper and easier to clean. But glass might achieve a specific look you are going for.

• PRO
    Diana Bier Interiors, LLC
    14 days ago

None of the items are chosen in isolation. The bathroom should be planned and viewed as a whole. Everything decided on prior to one tile being removed.

What is your goal for the room? Is it a master bathroom, guest bathroom, children's bathroom?

What style? How big is it? How much maintenance are you prepared to do? What is your budget?

Just in general, the small hexagons you show are marble. Are you aware of what the issues are with marble in a shower? It's much more difficult to maintain than porcelain or ceramic. You can get 1" hexagons in ceramic tile that will be much easier to clean and could be less expensive.

As far as shower floor vs. overall bathroom floor, some like the cohesion of having the same for both, others like a larger tile outside of the shower. That's your choice.

Glass enclosures vs. shower curtains is also a personal preference as well as a budget issue. Glass enclosures can add a few thousand dollars to the cost, depending on size and type of glass and hardware. Shower curtains are very inexpensive--all they require is a rod, curtain and liner, and rings, usually not more than $100.

A pre-made vanity comes in standard sizes, some come with tops and sinks, and can be a good choice if they fit the space. Custom can be made to your exact specifications--size, type of wood, color, style, etc., but the cost can skyrocket.

So many unknowns in your question; you could get better advice if you post your layout and some inspiration photos.

• PRO
    Norwood Architects
    14 days ago

Can you post photos of your current bathroom please? Will make it much easier for posters to help you.

• S S
    Original Author
    14 days ago

Thanks for the tips and advice, here are some pics of current and what I was liking

For vanity, I would do painted, just not sure on tile

• S S
    Original Author
    14 days ago

More inso