Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bncaew

Living room help!

bncaew
6 years ago
last modified: 2 years ago

I posted about this room before but I've been having hard time finding things I like. This is the room you walk into when you enter the house, so endures a lot of traffic. Although I would love a rug, I have little kids and i find keeping a rug clean with all the traffic impossible. I would love to incorporate some blue in here. For now, I am looking for a better sized coffee table. Originally planned on doing gold and white, but nothing I find matches the other furniture in the room. Do I go with cream? White? looking for something that's easy to wipe down ( fabric ones and baby spit up don't work to well) Also, would a gold mirror brighten things up? would love some not pricey suggestions! Thanks! (Ignore the nasty blue table cloth In the background)

Comments (7.6K)

• pat1250
    13 days ago

wow…..the cypress is dark.

• PRO
  • bncaew
    Original Author
    13 days ago

Pat, yup. Disappointingly so :(

• bncaew
    Original Author
    13 days ago

Thanks @homeinteriorswithease! i really like the first one! can you send the details?

• PRO
  • PRO
    Home Interiors With Ease
    13 days ago

What type coffee table or end tables will you be adding?

• bncaew
    Original Author
    13 days ago

Thank you so much! I will look into that. A little more info as you are just seeing this thread. This is the den/ playroom for my four kids. My little ones play on the floor in here so no coffee table but would love end table. A 9x11 or 10x12 works best, but I can make an 8x10 work. Was hoping to add green in the rug, and I actually found one that I loved, but it was wool and shed everywhere and made me sick. So , I probably won’t try another wool one. Thanks again for looking for me..

• PRO
    Home Interiors With Ease
    13 days ago

You are welcome..I would keep the rug shades of neutrals if possible you can add a pillow or two to pull the green around the room.

• bncaew
    Original Author
    13 days ago

Thanks again HIWE! I love those pillows!
    The rug is unfortunately wool. After the last debacle, I am really trying to stay away from wool but thank you again for looking for me!

• PRO
    Home Interiors With Ease
    13 days ago

A good wool rug high quality and tight weave should not shed much and for a very short time..wool is so stong and easy to clean..antibacterial too..really good for busy familes. I can look for the same style or close to it in a polypropolene but remember any rug you get needs a good felt pad under it to protect the floors and keep it from moving and sliding around..it also gives a nice plush comfortable feel for the family.

• PRO
  • PRO
    Home Interiors With Ease
    13 days ago
    last modified: 13 days ago

All polypropylene

• bncaew
    Original Author
    13 days ago

Wow! You’re amazing… thank you so, so much!! I love the first one! Can you send me the info too? I can’t tell you how much I appreciate this. I’ve been on this rug search for far too long!

• PRO
    Home Interiors With Ease
    13 days ago

8x10 top 2 are wayfair…last one is allModern.com

• HU-187528210
    13 days ago

I absolutely love the first wayfair one.

• bncaew
    Original Author
    11 days ago

Me too. I found it on Amazon, but the reviews aren’t great and the largest size it comes in is a 710 by 10’2. Was hoping for larger.

• pat1250
    11 days ago

Maybe too late to comment…but I really like HIWE’s suggestions, most notably the one on bottom right. It seems to anchor the room & at the same time draws the eye to the art over the sofa. That’s my vote

• PRO
    Home Interiors With Ease
    11 days ago

Strange it has 5 stars on Wayfair…8x10 is the correct size?

• bncaew
    Original Author
    11 days ago

I prefer 9x12. I am looking into the other options you posted. The first has the right size and is available on Amazon (meaning I can get a sample with free shipping and free returns). So, I’ll start there! Thanks again!

• PRO
    Home Interiors With Ease
    10 days ago

good…what size is your room? are you wanting the rug to be in front of the door too..or just the seating area?

• bncaew
    Original Author
    10 days ago

I know the room is 16’ across (the wall with the couch). I can check the wall with the chair measurement later. This is a picture of

• bncaew
    Original Author
    10 days ago

Sorry- this is the rug I loved. It’s 8’6x 11x6’

• PRO
    Home Interiors With Ease
    10 days ago

What are you sorry about? Size looks good and it goes very nice with the furniture..

• bncaew
    Original Author
    10 days ago

I wasn’t clear. That was the rug I loved that shedded everywhere. Reviews had complaints about shedding, but I didn’t realize what they meant till this rug was in my house. It was awful. So, that was returned and the search is back on. But, I did like the larger size and would like to try to find something similar in size

• Molly
    8 days ago

Bummer about the shedding!

• bncaew
    Original Author
    4 days ago

Thank you again home interiors with ease for the suggestions. Unfortunately, I was wrong and I can’t find any of them with free shipping and free returns. As I already spent on returns, I’m trying to avoid that if possible. Here is another option I found. While it is sage, the reviews show a very neutral sage color. The reviews are excellent in terms of washability (I know I’m not washing a 9x12 in my machine, but the reviews discuss spot cleaning), softness, and durability. For some reason, I can’t see the sage one in the “view in your room” feature on the site, only the green.

• bncaew
    Original Author
    4 days ago

I’m including a picture of the room to hopefully help visualize the rug..

• happyleg
    4 days ago

Nice!

• bncaew
    Original Author
    4 days ago

Thanks happyleg! its a little ”boring” compared to what i had been looking at, but maybe that’s the best? I also wont have to worry about a pattern or box being off-centered.

• bncaew
    Original Author
    4 days ago

My main hesitation is if this works with the darker green chairs. Any thoughts on thay?

• Alice Edwards
    4 days ago

I really think it can work with the green chairs :).

• PRO
    Home Interiors With Ease
    3 days ago

Do you want the room to have a overall green color or just as an accent? I would go shades of neutral…and a few green accents….do you have any other large wall for your art? I like big but it is a bit too big for that sofa..what is the sofa length? art size?

• bncaew
    Original Author
    3 days ago

Hi Julie!
    I’m ok either way. I tried some nuetrals and they didn’t work well. One ivory one that I liked was very stark in the room.
    If I remember correctly, the couch is 84” long. I can measure the painting when I get home.. but I would like to keep it. Still so much to buy and we just finished construction so trying to be mindful of costs and I like it :)

• bncaew
    Original Author
    3 days ago

Also, the rest of the house is very neutral so I’m ok going a little more colorful in this room, especially as it is a playroom. And I need the stain resistance..

• PRO
    Home Interiors With Ease
    3 days ago

Was thinking the art could go on the side wall…add maybe a colorful modern art set a bit smaller over sofa..maybe even photos of your kids…found this rug seems perfect..has non slip back, so no expense of a rug pad..performance even repels spills….amazon easy returns.

• bncaew
    Original Author
    3 days ago

I’ll look into that rug Julie. Thank you!!

• PRO
  • bncaew
    Original Author
    3 days ago

Here’s the rug with the see in your room feature

• bncaew
    Original Author
    3 days ago

Here’s the rug with the see in your room feature

• bncaew
    Original Author
    3 days ago

It’s definitely significantly cheaper

• bncaew
    Original Author
    3 days ago

But very similar to what I already have in my living room

• bncaew
    Original Author
    3 days ago

Here are the measurements, sorry for the delay!
    The room is 15’2”x18.5’, but there is a 7’x5’ bathroom cut into it. Couch is 84” long, art is 56.5”x40.5”.

• bncaew
    Original Author
    3 days ago

I can post pictures of other rooms, but I think my biggest issue is that I am such a minimalist and I always stick to neutrals. I don’t like “stuff” like pillows and a lot of decor so things stay bland around here.. trying to push myself to incorporate color into the few things I do add.

• bncaew
    Original Author
    yesterday

I’ve been thinking about this rug a lot. And the pictures, because I still really do want to add them here. I think I am going with the sage green rug and the six picture gallery wall over the toys. I want this room to be “fun”, and even if it can’t be perfect, I think it will be ok.

You can all tell me that you told me it won’t work when I don’t like it 🙈😬🙈

• bncaew
    Original Author
    yesterday

I loved the green here and this sage rug is similar.. or so I think

• bncaew
    Original Author
    yesterday

And, after that very big proclamation, I’m doubting everything again. 🙈🙈🙈😬😬

• Alice Edwards
    yesterday

I know you said you won’t have to worry about the line inside square. So the new contender doesn’t have the lined inside square, right? The sages are very pretty with your sofa color and the art. Your green chairs will still show nicely, I think, on a sage. This last rug you’re considering had good marks on cleaning as well. Give it a try! You’re probably ready to have a rug in here and a sage could really go nicely with many other decor choices if you decided to change something els down the road.

• happyleg
    yesterday
    last modified: yesterday

Happy Mother's Day! Nice rug & more causal with couch.

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    yesterday

Happy Mother’s Day and I like the rug.

• bncaew
    Original Author
    1 hour ago

Happy Mother’s Day to you all! Hope you have a wonderful day!! Lucky to get to spend the day with my mom and I’m really looking forward :)

one more option from the same site, Revival. Do you prefer the first or second? both have excellent reviews