Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_963066015

What to do with vases

Keith Fronczak
last month
last modified: last month

I am wondering what to add or change on this side table i love both the picture and vases; and this is the only place they fit. Should they be left empty, or change what is in them. Any comments or suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Comments (24)

• jck910
    last month

I would leave them empty. Lose the small items. Between the light, front of cabinet & art you have a lot going on.

Keith Fronczak thanked jck910
  • housegal200
    last month

Remove one vase. Move the art to the left and reposition the vase and items on the right. It's too symmetrical right now. Not crazy about the feathery stuff sticking out, but with one vase, it'll be fine.

Keith Fronczak thanked housegal200
  • Keith Fronczak
    Original Author
    last month

Thank you

• Tachch
    last month

If you definitely want to leave exactly 2 vases, then move the picture higher and the vases a little closer to the center. At the same time, I recommend adding a wide, light mat or backing to the picture to significantly increase its size. It may even be better to place the painting on a stand if the frame is large enough. Then move some small decor to one of the vases (for example, a couple of books and your tray and figurines on top)

Keith Fronczak thanked Tachch
  • shirlpp
    last month

I know you're trying to add something to the sides because the artwork is too small, but IMO the vases need to be removed.

You have beautiful lighting(saw pic you removed), and a beautiful buffet, however, the vases are not working with either - Sorry.

Keith Fronczak thanked shirlpp
  • freedomplace1
    last month

The table already looks nice. And it’s fine to keep the two vases there. You could mix up the items that you put in the vases, i.e. not the same in each vase, if you .want to differentiate them a bit. But the symmetry as you have it now is also fine. If you love the feathers and/or if they have special meaning for you, definitely keep them. If not, then indtead of just leaving the vases empty, I would suggest just a branch or two of eucalyptus for each vase. You can get faux - and i’ve included a link for one nice faux option. But when you can get the real eucalptus from your local florist, etc., it is nice - because they have a wonderfiul fragrance. And you would just need a stem or two for each vase; less is more in this case. The rest of your arrangement is fine - leave it all. Although @Tachch above has some nice ideas for possibly placing the picture a bit higher, and maybe in a slightly larger, matted frame. But I suggest that you just try adding the eucalyptus stems in the vases first, and see how you like it. I think that might be enough to do the trick, as far as pulling the whole look together for you.. https://www.afloral.com/products/eucalyptus-spray-in-green-gray

https://www.afloral.com/products/eucalyptus-spray-in-green-gray

Keith Fronczak thanked freedomplace1
  • Tachch
    last month

Like that.

And perhaps you should think about replacing the table in front of the yellow chair with a table with a different, lighter and more muted texture and color.

Keith Fronczak thanked Tachch
  • trinoja2
    last month

I think all you need is one vess and perhaps two tall thin candles on the other side. The vesses are huge and the candeza is not that long.

Keith Fronczak thanked trinoja2
  • ci_lantro
    last month

The credenza is beautiful. It is the real eye candy in the room. The vases are trying to steal its thunder. Find another place to use the vases.

The artwork is too small and wrong shape. IMO, you need art that is longer than it is tall--more linear, to work with the long line of the credenza.

Keith Fronczak thanked ci_lantro
  • Design Fan
    last month

Beautiful credenza.

Consider adding a large wide piece of art over it and removing everything from the credenza too.

Keith Fronczak thanked Design Fan
  • freedomplace1
    last month

If you love the art, keep it. Art is a very personal thing - and no one here should be telliing you to remove your art. There are no rules regarding how large your art should be; if you wanted it to be larger, you could frame it in a larger frame - but it is fine, as is. Nor should anyone here be telling you to, ”remove everything from the credenza“ - including your vases, which you have already stated that you love. And there is zero wrong with having 2 vases on a console/credenza, and there is also zero wrong with your vases.

• shirlpp
    last month

I am wondering what to add or change on this side table i love both the picture and vases; and this is the only place they fit. Should they be left empty, or change what is in them. Any comments or suggestions are greatly appreciated.

• freedomplace1
    last month

Thank you, shirlpp.

• Maureen
    last month

Sorry, but I don’t think any of the items are flattering your lovely sideboard. Proportions, placement and their feel don’t suit its style and bring out its best. Suggest looking for on line inspiration and experiment with items (and return what doesn’t work). The sideboard and wall in general could be much more attractive with layering and height variations.

• chloebud
    last month

I agree the art could be larger. If you keep it, some of the suggestions here will help. I wouldn’t raise the art since it should be ”connected” to the credenza.

This is one example for sizing/spacing. Whenever I hang art over furniture I’m more concerned with the distance between the art and furniture vs art and floor.

Keith Fronczak thanked chloebud
  • PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    last month

For me the vases are blah take them away get a larger piece of art then a vase only if filled with frest flowers I think the vases rob the credenza of being the star in the space .IMO less is for sure more in this case.

Keith Fronczak thanked Patricia Colwell Consulting
  • liasch
    last month

The question is how attached are you to the vases? If you love them, and this is the only place for them, I would say empty. One on each side. The small items in the centre don’t do anything for the arrangement, however. I would try to find a different home for those. It’s true if the painting was matted in a light colour matte, it would tie in better with the vases and have more presence.

Keith Fronczak thanked liasch
  • la_la Girl
    last month

I like the vases - i might put them on the same side, with one a bit higher stacked on a few books - and a smaller decorative object in front - I could see one vase with filler, I love vases with minimal grasses and natural pods so maybe something like this?

and then possibly a nice lamp on the other side? (love the Room & Board Serena lamp)

• freedomplace1
    last month

This article has ”25 Ways to Decorate a Console Table”. https://www.remodelaholic.com/25-ways-decorate-a-console-table/

And there are, in my estimation, at least one hundred ways to do this (and that is a very low estimate).

You have to understand that the majority of what happens on this ”design” site revolves around personal opinion and herd thinking - I.e. ”This is what I PERSONALLY LIKE - so this is what you should do.” And the, ”Let’s do what we think everybody else is doing.” It has nothing to do with what design/decorating is supposed to be about;

There is nothing wrong with having two, matching, symmetrically placed vases on a console. You don’t have to stack them on one side on top of books, etc. But of course you CAN do that, if you like the idea. And there is nothing wrong with your art - as it is. Nor is ther anything wrong with the other items thst you have on your credenza. I‘ve already expressed thoughts about all of this in a previous comment.

Best Wishes.

• kculbers
    last month

I have a few vases through out my home. Currently they have some faux greenery in them for the Spring.

• shirlpp
    last month

I'm a vase freak. I can count about 15(floor vases) in my home. I have to stop myself from buying more.

I love the shape of them and put nothing in them(except 3) as their beauty is in the shape.

• kculbers
    last month

Shirlpp: I love vases too!! A few more of mine. Please post pictures of your vases!!

• shirlpp
    last month

I did not forget @kculbers: