Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sandra_guzek

Conventional or Convection Oven?

Sandra Guzek
14 days ago

Hi Im shopping for a new electric range. Im seeing so many ranges that are convection ovens. Ive only ever had conventional bake and broil, should i make the switch to convection? Also do any newer models have the option to have both?

Comments (13)

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    14 days ago

First do not buy the old type electric range please . If you ggo electric IMO now it needs to be induction. Convection is a great use of hot air moving around to bake things evenly and faster . You can do 2 or 3 trays of cookies all at the same time all baked evenly . It also roasts things nicer once you get used to it you will always love it IMO I have electric double walloven and all gas range both with convection and would never not have that feature. You do not need to use it all the time just a nice choice.

Sandra Guzek thanked Patricia Colwell Consulting
  • dadoes
    14 days ago

All home/domestic ranges/ovens that I've ever seen with convection also operate in conventional baking mode. The available convection modes depends on the individual oven model. My 2004 GE has

• Conventional Bake -- bake element at full power, broil element at low power
    • Conventional Broil -- Hi = broil element at full power, Lo = broil element at medium power
    • Convection Bake Multi Rack -- convection fan with only the 3rd element (surrounding the fan)
    • Convection Bake Single Rack -- convection fan with bake and broil elements as per conventional bake
    • Convection Roast = convection fan with broil element at full power
    Sandra Guzek thanked dadoes
  • WestCoast Hopeful
    14 days ago

Same as dadoes. We have two ovens and both can be regular ovens or convection.

Sandra Guzek thanked WestCoast Hopeful
  • Sandra Guzek
    Original Author
    14 days ago

Patricia are you recommending an induction top along with convection oven?

• 3katz4me
    14 days ago

I'm sure she is. If you want electric, induction is the way to go and in my opinion the only way to go even if you like gas. I've had a convection oven for years and very rarely use it. I just use the conventional mode.

Sandra Guzek thanked 3katz4me
  • latifolia
    14 days ago

Read up about induction before choosing that. Not all pots and pans will work. I would not be able to use my copper tarte tartin pan, for example.

Sandra Guzek thanked latifolia
  • beesneeds
    14 days ago

What is your oven use? Do you tend to bake a lot, or otherwise use the oven a lot? It may not make much of a difference to get a convection over a conventional if you tend to pretty standard use.

Sandra Guzek thanked beesneeds
  • Sandra Guzek
    Original Author
    14 days ago

Beesneeds. Standard use. Not a ton of baking

• theresa21
    13 days ago

Yes, there are some pans that are not compatible with induction. In my case, only one pan (aluminum) did not make the transition to induction. I love my induction. My oven allows for both, convection and conventional.

Sandra Guzek thanked theresa21
  • PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    13 days ago

I only use the convection mode in my oven which offers me both options. Much faster cooking and doesn't change the taste or appearance. Do you use a cell phone instead of a dial tone phone? If so then time to make the switch on the range type.

Sandra Guzek thanked BeverlyFLADeziner
  • wdccruise
    13 days ago

I have the LG LSE4617ST induction range which has convection and non-convection cooking. The current LG LSIS6338F is similar.

• awm03
    13 days ago

Roasted chicken -- whole bird or pieces --comes out better using convection. Roast beef too, but who can afford that these days. Your oven might come with an air fry feature , which is just convection with more fan speed & no preheat time. I like that for fish & pork tenderloin, for reheating day old breads, recrisping pizza, roasting veggies, & warming leftovers.

For years my pie crusts burned, & I had to pull out a hot pie to cover the rim with foil for the final minutes. Don't have to do that anymore with convection. Pie crusts come out beautiful.