Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
romy_costantine

Rug for greige/taupe curtains

Romy Co
14 days ago

Hello everyone!
I got some custom made greige/taupe curtains for the living room. To my great despair, they look pink in certain lighting. I am looking for a neutral rug that'll neutralize the pink undertones of the curtains.
The couch will eventually be switched for a creamy/linen color (as soon as the kids stop ruining everything 🤣).
Any suggestions?
Thank you !!

Comments (6)

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    14 days ago
    last modified: 14 days ago

I think a rug is not going to have much effect on the drape color , it would be the walls or even the light from outside. IMO to buy a rug before the new sofa is kind of backwards . FYI your TV is too high and you need art and whan getting new furniture do a nice sofa and 2 chairs I never understand a chaise on a sofa a nice ottoman works and can be moved or even used for a kid to sit on I think we need to know more about what style of sofa and no matter what 1/2 the pillows you have now. The fact is taupes often have undertones that read pink that is why ordering online is a bad idea. Did you get a sample of that fabric to bring home ?

• Romy Co
    Original Author
    14 days ago

We recently moved into this space so we dnt have any art hung for now. All the furniture is old and needs to be changed eventually.

I did not order online, I had a home consultation and picked a 4x4 sample which did not look pink at all. The consultant failed to mention that the color would change with the lighting. At that price point, changing the curtains is out of question :(

• Jilly
    14 days ago

Your curtains turned out so nice!

Since there are millions of rugs out there, maybe we can narrow it down:

Budget?

Material preference?

Style? Traditional, modern, transitional, etc.

Patterned or not?

Colorful (like an Oriental style rug) or more neutral?

Are there any other rugs nearby? What is this room open to?

I think you can definitely invest in a rug you love that can work with the current furniture and whatever you get later.

• kandrewspa
    14 days ago

Honestly, the drapes look beautiful. It looks like they did nice work. If they go with your sofa, take one of the cushions to a carpet store and look at area rugs. If you don't see an area rug you like, keep in mind they can cut any of their stock or special order carpet to size and bind the edges for an area rug. If you don't live somewhere where you have a good selection, order the smallest size online to look at the colors so it's easy to return. The colors will look different at home than they do on your computer or phone. Try to find something that has some of the sofa color in it, but do not try to match it in a solid color as that would be boring. :-)

• Maureen
    14 days ago

The wall is influencing as well, but once you get over the unexpected effect on the room, you may like its warm tone. Suggest adding large artwork to break up the wall and when buying the rug, consider the art’s style and colors, as it sounds like it will be a while before you are purchasing new seating. Also consider a bit larger rug than what is taped out to be on the safe side, to accommodate furniture type/size/placement.

To help with ideas, look on line for inspiration and you may even decide to embrace the tone and a darker couch might be more practical for a family. If you go with a simple pattern in rug choice, it leaves that door open.

• Romy Co
    Original Author
    14 days ago

Thank you all for your insights !! Appreciate it :)