Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
thyra_andrews

Change my house layout Help needed

Thyra
15 days ago

This is the current floor plan for the house I just purchased.
Things I want to achieve are:

1. Larger kitchen it’s very small. I would like to open it but kind of want to keep the wall near the living room. But maybe that’s not possible
  2. Add laundry
  3. Find a spot for a small powder room.
    How can I achieve it all? I’m open to all ideas and I would greatly appreciate the help.

Comments (11)

• AnnKH
    15 days ago

Can the patio door be moved, or changed to a single door? If so, you can make a galley kitchen open to the dining room - though realistically, I suspect the living and dining labels are reversed, with the fireplace in the living room. How are you using that space?

• Thyra
    Original Author
    15 days ago

I’m using it like this. More space for the living room and less for the dining room

• Thyra
    Original Author
    15 days ago

The patio door could be moved. The fireplace is electric and I’m thinking of moving it to the opposite side.

• bpath
    15 days ago
    last modified: 15 days ago

I haven’t done anything with appliances, just a framework. Up by the patio door, a wall of upper and lower cabinets and counter (maybe move the refrigerator to that end to have more working counter space by the sink and stove), a door to the hall, and then open at the other end. You could decide whether to have side walls down there, or not. There might be room for a bistro table by the patio door, if you want a spot to with with a cup of coffee. Otherwise, just use the dining area for meals. The house is too small to have two dining areas, although counter seating might be nice for a snack or perch.

There is a lower level, yes? Is there a laundry there? I can understand wanting to move it upstairs. Could those two closets in the main floor hallway be combined, to be a laundry closet? My brother had an apartment where the laundry closet was in a walkway, so it had a louvered barn door so it wouldn’t block the walkway while the machines are running. If you did a stackable, perhaps you could have a pocket door, or two that meet in the middle if you want space on the sides for stuff.

Thyra thanked bpath
  • kandrewspa
    15 days ago

Just change the slider to a single door if you want to be able to access the back or side yard from the kitchen. If you like to grill at all it is nice to be able to get outside from the kitchen. I would keep the wall between the kitchen and the living area for cabinets. The dining area is open to the kitchen which is what you want.

• AnnKH
    15 days ago

I was thinking along the same lines as bpath. Change to a single door to outside, move the window, open the wall to the dining area.

• rockybird
    15 days ago

If you change the slider to a single glass door, I would try to kee the deleted side as at least a window over the counter so you dont lose any light.

Thyra thanked rockybird
  • Thyra
    Original Author
    14 days ago

@bpath Thank you for the suggestions. There is a laundry downstairs in a common area but I have 2 apartments downstairs and I would like to have one upstairs for me. I was thinking maybe the closet next to the bathroom can be the laundry and were you just suggested for the laundry could be the power room. I love your layout idea for the kitchen and tks for the visual. I did not think to extend the wall.

• littlebug Zone 5 Missouri
    14 days ago

I like what Bpath sketched out. Your current layout looks like it’s a PITA to use the dining room now!

Glad to hear the fireplace is electric. Find another home for it, maybe the biggest bedroom?

• Thyra
    Original Author
    14 days ago

@annakh Love the layout. Thank you

• Thyra
    Original Author
    14 days ago

@littlebug Zone 5 Missouri I might let it go. It came with the house but it does not really have the best home in that location.